This workshop goes from December 4th to December 11th, 2021. Nestled along the warm Pacific ocean in the coastal village of Sayulita, Mexico, the Haramara Retreat has established itself as a place of intimate seaside learning where mind, body, and soul come together in what can only be described as a magical experience.
It is within this spectacular equatorial environment that we will begin our playful exploration of the creative image-making process. Utilizing imagery inspired from our own personal stories, life experience – and of course Sayulita and the surrounding rainforest – we will engage in a hands-on journey through fundamental painting principles, and learn how to sustain our own creative momentum. Haramara is a perfect setting for this, as it allows us to detach from the fast pace of our daily lives.
“The Haramara retreat was amazing beyond words. Nick is an incredible teacher and a very special human being. I am very interested in signing up for a repeat Haramara retreat in the future.”
– Linda Wallace, Haramara Art2Life Workshop Attendee
Throughout the week, we will work on a series of small paintings on wood panels, often working on several pieces simultaneously, which leaves little time to worry about success or failure. We will also explore how themes of change and spontaneity enable us to create our own unique artwork, and illuminate life lessons inherent in the creative process. We seek to engage both sides of the brain, and invite in mistakes, intuition, and spontaneity. We will explore the six Art2Life Creativity Principles: value, design, color, texture, risk, and soul. Generous time will be given for experimentation with new tools, mediums, and techniques, and as the class progresses we will create a fertile environment for art making with in depth demonstrations, music, and one on one instruction.
Haramara also offers a variety of open-air accommodations. Participants have their choice of lodging in spacious double or triple occupancy cabanas, each designed with the perfect amount of privacy. While at Haramara we will have the pleasure of enjoying the finest vegetarian cuisine, made from the best locally sourced, organically grown ingredients. Haramara also has a staff of highly trained massage therapists, as well as a pool, cooking, and yoga classes, not to mention long quiet stretches of beach, just a short walk away. There will be ample time for choosing different excursions such as a day on a catamaran to watch migrating gray whales and bottlenose dolphins – or we can explore remote, pristine beaches accessible only by boat.
“This workshop offers a systematic approach to the basics of painting for everyone. I felt like I learned more in this week than I did in the entire process of getting a bachelors degree in art.”
– Shawnee Johnson, Haramara Art2Life Workshop Attendee
We will also partake in some of Sayulita’s local cultural flare – not only does Sayulita have its own vibrant artist community, December is also a time of lively festivities for this otherwise quiet seaside town. We will be fortunate enough to enjoy these celebrations amidst delicious food and drink, as the sounds of local musicians drift through the temperate night air.
Additionally, all workshop participants will receive their very own Art2Life Workshop Art Kit! The supplies in your Art Kit were hand selected by Nicholas, and contain everything you need to enjoy this retreat. Each Art Kit comes fully stocked with a set of 21 custom made fluid acrylic colors, gloss medium, twelve 12″ x 12″ panels, a set of 8 brushes in various sizes, a painting tray, tracing paper pad, sandpaper, steel wool, pencil, and a 2-pocket apron. And the best part about the Art Kit is that it’s yours to keep once the retreat concludes! For more information on supplies, check out the “materials” section of our FAQ page (click here for more info).
“An art retreat in a secluded area immersed in nature was a present to myself I had been craving for a longtime. When I found Nicholas Wilton’s workshop in Haramara, I immediately knew I found what I was looking for. I didn’t have any specific expectations in terms of academics or to take home results. The only thing I wanted was to give my art all the space it needed, stay open to whatever could come out, be inspired and encouraged by an established artist and other fellow artists. My experience at Haramara ended up being really extraordinary. I had a wonderful time painting, exploring, and learning new tools to help and nourish my explorations. But, most of all, I realized how vital and fundamental art making is in my life. Thanks Nicholas!” – Paola Lanfranchi, Haramara Art2Life Workshop Attendee
This workshop is designed for people from a wide variety of disciplines and skill levels, from beginner to professional. The sole prerequisite to attending is an openness to playing, experimentation, and a willingness to explore your artistic practice against a backdrop of shimmering Pacific waters, delicious food, and like-minded creative individuals. Please join us as we celebrate a process of inspiration, reclamation, and the journey of self-discovery through painting.
“The art2life workshop at haramara was exactly what I needed. a tranquil environment where time slowed down and i got to fully immerse into my creativity. as well as laugh, connect and completely relax (white sands, clear water, good people, interesting dinner discussions… on and on). Nicholas has a true gift of holding such a wonderful space for anyone who has a desire to explore and get playful with their creativity. fine-tune their voice. push through their blocks. learn new techniques.”
– Ann-Britt Malden, Haramara Art2Life Workshop Attendee
Course Fee There are five rooming options at Haramara: single, double, triple, quad, and dorm occupancy. We have a limited number of each of these types of rooms, and as such they are available on a first come, first served basis. Please also note that unless specified otherwise, all workshop accommodations are co-ed.
The cost breakdown for these 5 rooming options is as follows:
Single Occupancy Room: $4600 – click here to register
Double Occupancy Room: $3600 – click here to register
Triple Occupancy Room: $3200 – click here to register
Quad Occupancy Room: $2900 – click here to register
Dorm: $2500- The dorm option is available only to female workshop participants. Interested parties should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The above fees cover all room, food and art material expenses. The accommodations for this workshop are first come, first served. To reserve your space, a 1/3rd deposit (based on desired accommodation type) is required. Please read about our payment and refund policies here. We also strongly recommend you check out our extensive FAQ for this workshop by clicking here. Please note, due to the nature of the terrain of the Haramara Retreat it is not recommended for young children or persons with limited or impaired mobility.
PLEASE READ – COVID-19 & VACCINATION POLICY:
- Art2Life requires all Workshop employees and participants to provide satisfactory, in Art2Life’s sole discretion, proof of Covid-19 vaccination or documentation of recovery at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the Workshop. Proof of full vaccination (and booster shot if applicable) must be emailed to email@example.com.
- Art2Life reserves the right to make, in its sole discretion, changes to our Covid & Vaccination Policy in order to comply with third party requirements, including but not limited to the following: CDC Guidelines, the Workshop venue guidelines, travel restrictions (imposed by the airline or country), and vaccination requirement updates. Notwithstanding the foregoing, participants and employees shall be solely responsible for complying with any and all rules, guidelines and regulations prior to, during and following the Workshop, including but not limited to imposed quarantine, face coverings, restrictions and necessary permissions.
- In the event of circumstances beyond its reasonable control, including but not limited to pandemic, acts of government, or weather events, Art2Life reserves the right to cancel or postpone this Workshop in its sole discretion, and shall not be held liable for any failure to perform or delay. A2L will transfer any payments made by participants to a future Workshop of equal value, or provide participants with the option to receive a refund in full.
- Art2Life strongly recommends travel insurance, however, participants are responsible for ensuring that coverage extends fully to Covid-19 related cancellations. During the Workshop, A2L will adhere to then-applicable Covid-19 guidelines. Participants and employees shall hold A2L, its owners, agents and representatives harmless in the event of any Covid-19-related illness, liability, cost or claim, including but not limited to medical care required during or after the Workshop.
Questions? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org